About the TASC/TASC-ASL Tests
About the Tests
- The TASC is for candidates who plan to teach students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. The TASC assesses sign communication proficiency within one or more of several sign communication systems used in Texas classrooms.
- The TASC-ASL is for candidates who plan to teach ASL as a Language Other Than English. The TASC-ASL assesses proficiency in American Sign Language exclusively.
Both tests use an interview format. An experienced interviewer conducts a 20-minute, one-on-one conversational interview with a candidate. The interview is videotaped, and the videotape is viewed by scorers who rate the candidate's expressive and receptive sign communication proficiency.
The TASC and TASC-ASL are designed to assess your sign communication ability.
- During the testing session, you will be videotaped as you respond to signed questions that allow you to demonstrate your proficiency in signed communication.
- Your sign communication proficiency will be measured against an established standard of competence.
- You will not be rated based on the content of your responses, but rather on how well you are able to communicate your ideas and understand the interviewer.
The TASC and TASC-ASL may be taken any time during your academic career after you have decided to seek certification as a teacher of deaf or hard-of-hearing students, or as a teacher of ASL as a foreign language.
Back to Top
What's New in 2016-17?
Educator Certification Test Retake Policy Change
Candidates are limited to five attempts to take a certification test. The five attempts include the first attempt to pass the examination and four retakes. The five attempts include any of the test approval methods (PACT, EPP, out of state, charter, and CBE). All attempts taken before September 1, 2015 count as one attempt. If a candidate chooses to register again for the same test after completion of the fifth testing attempt, scores will not be counted towards certification and candidates will assume responsibility for test fees paid. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) implemented this change to Texas Education Code §21.048 in response to HB 2205, 84th Texas Legislature, 2015.
Test fee payment processing is now provided by Texas.gov, the official website of Texas. The price of this service, which is not refundable, includes funds that support the ongoing operations and enhancements of Texas.gov, which is provided by a third party in partnership with the State. Candidates may now be required to process two individual payments to complete an order transaction. This will be determined by the services being requested in the final order. Failure to complete both payments will result in cancellation of the order.
Test and Service Refunds
All past and future processed test and service orders are now refundable up to 180 days from completion of initial order payment. The 180-day refund policy begins with the date the initial payment transaction was processed. If a test or service order is changed (e.g., change of test date), the 180-day refund policy applies to the date the registration was initially processed. Test takers canceling an order prior to 180 days from the initial transaction will be refunded according to the “Canceling a Test Registration” policy.
The Registration Bulletin is a free publication that contains program information, test dates, contact information, registration procedures and forms.
Back to Top
Fees for Tests and Related Services
$131* Test fee (per test)
* Test fee payment processing is provided by Texas.gov, the official website of Texas. The price of this service, which is not refundable, includes funds that support the ongoing operations and enhancements of Texas.gov, which is provided by a third party in partnership with the State. You may be required to process two individual payments to complete an order transaction. This is determined by the services being requested in the final order. Failure to complete both payments will result in cancellation of your order.
Special Services (nonrefundable)
$20 Test, test center, test date or test session change
Score Review Services
$75 TASC/TASC-ASL score review
$140 Expanded Diagnostic Feedback
Fees are subject to change without notice. Amounts are listed in U.S. dollars and are exclusive of any Value-Added or similar taxes.
- Online and phone payments can be made by credit/debit card (American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® and VISA®). Any credit/debit card branded with one of the above accepted credit card logos can be processed.
- Information about payments sent by mail is on the form for the service you are requesting.
- All fees are stated in U.S. dollars.
- All outstanding balances with ETS must be paid in full prior to registering for any ETS-administered tests.
- All payments must be for the full amount.
- Cash and paper checks are not accepted for payment.
- If you have a balance due on your account, your score(s) may be withheld and you may be unable to register for additional tests. You will receive your score(s) and be able to register for additional tests as soon as the total outstanding balance has been cleared by either you or your financial institution, unless your scores are being withheld for any other reason.
- Services may be withheld for nonpayment of fees.
- Refunds of test fees will be made in U.S. dollar denominations.
- There are no refunds for Value-Added fees.
- Additional policies for payments made by mail are on the form for the service you are requesting.
- ETS reserves the right to add or remove payment methods at its own discretion.
Back to Top