About the TASC/TASC-ASL Tests
About the Tests
- The TASC is for candidates who plan to teach students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. The TASC assesses sign communication proficiency within one or more of several sign communication systems used in Texas classrooms.
- The TASC-ASL is for candidates who plan to teach ASL as a Language Other Than English. The TASC-ASL assesses proficiency in American Sign Language exclusively.
Both tests use an interview format. An experienced interviewer conducts a 20-minute, one-on-one conversational interview with a candidate. The interview is videotaped, and the videotape is viewed by scorers who rate the candidate's expressive and receptive sign communication proficiency.
The TASC and TASC-ASL are designed to assess your sign communication ability.
- During the testing session, you will be videotaped as you respond to signed questions that allow you to demonstrate your proficiency in signed communication.
- Your sign communication proficiency will be measured against an established standard of competence.
- You will not be rated based on the content of your responses, but rather on how well you are able to communicate your ideas and understand the interviewer.
The TASC and TASC-ASL may be taken at any time during your academic career after you have decided to seek certification as a teacher of deaf or hard-of-hearing students, or as a teacher of ASL as a foreign language.
Back to Top
The Registration Bulletin is a free publication that contains program information, test dates, contact information, registration procedures and forms.
Back to Top
Fees for Tests and Related Services
$120 Test fee (per test)
$15 Test, test center, test date or test session change
$70 TASC/TASC-ASL score verification
$135 Expanded Diagnostic Feedback Service
$20 Fee for returned check
The above amounts are exclusive of any Sales and Use, Value-Added or similar taxes.
- Online and phone payments can be made by credit/debit card (American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard® and VISA®). Any credit/debit card branded with one of the above five accepted credit card logos can be processed.
- Online payments can also be made with an electronic check (e-check). Funds must be from a U.S. bank.
- Information about payments sent by mail is on the form for the service you are requesting
- All fees are stated in U.S. dollars.
- All outstanding balances with ETS must be paid in full prior to registering for any ETS-administered tests.
- All payments must be for the full amount.
- If you do not have sufficient credit or funds in your account, your scores will be withheld, you will be unable to register for additional tests, and an additional service fee of $20 will be added to your account. You will receive your scores as soon as the total outstanding balance has been cleared, unless your scores are being withheld for any other reason.
- Services may be withheld for nonpayment of fees.
- Refunds of test fees will be made in U.S. dollar denominations.
- There are no refunds for service fees.
- Additional policies for payments made by mail are on the form for the service you are requesting.
- ETS reserves the right to add or remove payment methods at its own discretion.
Back to Top