On the Day of the TASC/TASC-ASL Test
What to Bring to the Test Center
- Your authorization letter. If you do not bring your authorization letter, you may not be permitted to test.
- Valid and acceptable identification document(s) with a name, signature and photograph. Your ID will be checked before you are admitted. See Information About Your Name and Identification (ID) Requirements.
- You are not allowed to bring phones, tablets, PDAs and other electronic, listening, recording, scanning or photographic devices into the test center. If you are found to be in possession of any of these devices before, during or after the test administration (including breaks), your device may be inspected and/or confiscated and you will be dismissed from the test. Your test fees will be forfeited and your scores will be canceled, even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test. Test administrators are not permitted to hold cell phones or any other devices for anyone.
- Watches are not allowed in the test room; you will be asked to remove your watch and store it during the administration.
Back to Top
Admission to the Test
You must arrive at the test center no later than the Test Start Time listed in your authorization letter. If you arrive after that time, you will not be admitted and your test fees will be forfeited. It is your responsibility to allow plenty of time to arrive at the designated time, regardless of whether there is traffic congestion, road construction, bad weather, car accidents, poor directions or any other incident that might delay your arrival.
You must bring your authorization letter and the required ID documents. Without the required ID documents, you may not be permitted to test. See Identification (ID) Requirements.
Questions About ID Documents
For general questions about acceptable ID, call ETS Customer Service at:
- 1-800-205-2626 (U.S., U.S. Territories and Canada)
- 1-609-771-7393 (all other locations)
Back to Top
Compliance with Testing Rules
By registering for a TExES test, you are agreeing to abide by the Rules of Test Participation (PDF) and all rules and requirements specified or referenced in the Registration Bulletin and communicated to you, orally or in writing, at each test administration for which you have registered.
On the day of your test, a confidentiality statement will be presented to you after you sign in at the test center. It will ask you to indicate your agreement to the conditions set forth in the current Registration Bulletin, including the Rules of Test Participation (PDF) and the rules communicated to you orally or in writing at the test administration. If you indicate that you do not accept the terms of the agreement, your test will terminate, you will not be permitted to test and you will receive no refund or credit of any kind.
Back to Top
Test Center Procedures and Regulations
By submitting your registration for a TASC or TASC-ASL test, you are agreeing to abide by all procedures and policies contained in the Registration Bulletin
and/or communicated to you at the test administration for which you have registered.
The Registration Bulletin
and all other applicable rules of the State Board for Educator Certification (Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 7) govern your participation in the TASC and TASC-ASL assessments.
The following guidelines apply during the entire test session, which begins when you are admitted to the test center, include breaks and ends when you leave the test center.
- Please avoid wearing black, dark blue, red or white clothing as these colors blend in with the backdrop and may cause difficulty in scoring the recorded interview.
- Test-related information written on clothing, ID documents or on any parts of the body is prohibited.
- Dress comfortably and come prepared for varying room temperatures. If you need to remove an item of clothing during the test (e.g., sweater), you will be instructed to place it in the storage area provided by the test center at check-in. If no storage area is available, the item of clothing may be hung on the back of your chair. If you leave the testing room to go to the storage area, this will be treated as an unscheduled break; i.e., you will be asked to sign out/in of the testing room, show ID, etc. Note: The exam clock will not stop during this time.
- Test centers do not have large waiting areas. Friends or relatives who accompany you to the test center are not permitted to wait in the test center or be in contact with you while you are taking the test. Except for ETS-authorized observers, visitors are not permitted in the testing room while testing is in progress.
- You may be required to remove your eyeglasses for close visual inspection. The inspection will takes a few seconds and will be done at check-in and upon return from breaks.
- Personal items other than ID documents are not allowed in the testing room. This includes phones; tablets; PDAs; all watches, including digital, analog and smart watches; and any other electronic, recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices. If you are seen using or accessing any of these electronic devices and/or transmitting data, including but not limited to text messaging, email and photographs, your device may be inspected and/or confiscated. You may not access your phone during the test or during breaks to check messages or the time. You will be asked to remove and store your watch before you enter the testing room.
- Jewelry is prohibited, except for wedding and engagement rings. Do not wear other jewelry to the test center.
- Clothing and other personal items that include, but are not limited to, hair accessories, neckties, bowties, hats, scarves, jackets and outerwear are subject to inspection by the test center administrator. Refrain from wearing such items as tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, head-bands and other hair accessories on test day, as you may be prohibited from wearing them in the testing room.
- Before the test, you will receive instructions from test center staff regarding where to store personal items. You may also be asked to empty your pockets. You will not have access to your personal items during the test administration except for food, beverages and medication, which may be accessed during a break. Food, beverages and tobacco are not allowed in the testing room.
- If you fail to follow the instructions of the test center staff, you will not be permitted to test and your test fee will not be refunded. Any violation of these procedures during the test or during breaks may result in dismissal from the test center and/or cancellation of your test scores
- Test centers and ETS assume no responsibility for personal items including watches, jewelry or devices that you choose to bring to the test center.
- If you have health-related needs that require you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to follow the accommodations request procedures in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-Related Needs (PDF).
- The test administrator will escort you to the room where the interview will be conducted.
- Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration or after the test is prohibited.
- On occasion, weather conditions or other circumstances beyond the test center or ETS's control may require a delayed start or the rescheduling of your test.
- Test administrators will not honor requests for schedule changes.
- Take your authorization letter and identification document(s) to the test center.
- Other than your test taker ID card and your authorization letter, paper of any kind is not permitted in the testing room.
- Once the interview begins, you cannot leave the testing room until the 20-minute interview is complete.
ETS and the TEA reserve the right to take appropriate action and/or notify appropriate authorities including, but not limited to, law enforcement authorities, if a test taker responds in a threatening or disturbing way during the interview session or communicates with ETS either verbally or in writing in a threatening or disturbing manner.
Although tests are administered under strict supervision and security measures, testing irregularities may sometimes occur. Please contact ETS as soon as possible after the test to report any observed irregular behavior - for example, the test being administered in a system or language other than what was requested, taking a test for someone else or having access to test questions before the exam.
All information will be held in strictest confidence.
Dismissal from a Test Center
A test administrator is authorized to dismiss you from a test session and/or your scores may be withheld and ultimately canceled for any actions that violate the policies and procedures set forth herein and/or communicated at the test center including, without limitation, the following:
- attempting to take the test, or taking the test, for someone else or having someone else take the test for you, or attempting to take the test for you
- failing to provide acceptable identification as described herein
- obtaining improper access to test content, a part of the test, or information about the test (this includes having test questions or answers in advance of the test administration and bringing preknowledge of test information into the test center in any form including, but not limited to, identification documents, prohibited devices and any other method listed as an aid in connection to the test)
- having any type of phone, tablet, PDA, watch or any other electronic, listening, recording, scanning or photographic device in the test center. If you are seen using, or found to be in possession of, any of these devices before, during or after the test administration, your device may be inspected and/or confiscated and you will be dis-missed from the test. Your test fees will be forfeited and your scores will be canceled, even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test.
- using any aids in connection with the test, including without limitation, sign language books, pamphlets, notes, pagers, beepers, stereos or radios with headphones, all watches, dictionaries, translators and any handheld electronic, listening, recording, scanning or photographic devices
- creating a disturbance (Disruptive behavior in any form will not be tolerated. The test administrator has sole discretion in determining what constitutes disruptive behavior.)
- except as specifically required for purposes of administering or taking the test, attempting to give or receive assistance (Discussion or sharing of test content or answers after the test is prohibited.)
- removing or attempting to remove test content from the test center (Under no circumstances may test content or any part of the test content be removed, reproduced and/or disclosed by any means [e.g., hard copy, verbally, electronically] to any person or entity.)
- bringing a weapon or firearm into the test center
- bringing food, drink or tobacco into the testing room, unless you have received prior approval due to a disability or health-related need
- leaving the test center building during the test session
- leaving the waiting room or the testing room without permission
- taking excessive breaks during the test session
- referring to, looking through, or working on any test, or test section, when not authorized to do so
- failing to follow any of the test administration regulations contained in the Registration Bulletin, given by the test administrator or specified in any test materials
ETS and TEA reserve the right to take any and all actions - including, but not limited to, barring you from future testing and/or withholding or canceling your scores - for failure to comply with test administration regulations or the test administrator's directions. If your scores are canceled, they will not be reported, and your registration and test fees will not be refunded. In addition, violations of confidential test security and/or disclosure of test content to any person or entity may result in administrative denial of a certificate application, and/or sanctions against an existing educator certificate.
Cancellation of a Test Session
In the event it becomes necessary or desirable for ETS or TEA to cancel a test administration for reasons beyond its control, including without limitation, severe weather conditions, natural disaster (e.g., flood, fire), terrorist acts, acts of vandalism, hazardous conditions at the test center or some other event, a cancellation announcement will be posted as soon as possible on this website. The cancellation announcement will also be available as a recorded phone message at 1-800-205-2626. You will be advised by email, phone or U.S. mail as soon as the test administration has been rescheduled. It is imperative that you keep the contact information, especially your phone number and email address, in your Educator Profile on the TEA website up-to-date so you can be contacted quickly if the need arises.
Unless ETS or TEA cancels a test administration at a given test center, the test administration will be conducted as scheduled, barring circumstances preventing prior notification of cancellation (e.g., natural disaster, terrorist acts). If you miss a test administration that has not been officially canceled, you will be considered absent and will not receive a refund or credit of any kind.
Back to Top
Test Center Comments
If you have comments about the test center or the conditions under which you took a test, please submit your comments to ETS in a letter via mail, email or fax to the address below. All comments must be sent directly to ETS. Comments sent to your EPP or to TEA will not be acted upon. Comments about TASC/TASC-ASL test centers must be submitted or postmarked no later than two days after the date of your test. Comments filed with the test administrator will not be acted upon.
ETS-Texas Educator Certification Program
Test Administration Services
Mail Stop 34-Q
Princeton, NJ 08541-6051
Test Question Inquiries
ETS employs stringent quality-control procedures in preparing test materials. However, if you wish to comment about a test question for any reason, notify the test administrator at your test center or send a letter to the address below postmarked within two days of your test date.
ETS-Texas Educator Certification Program
Test Question Inquiries
PO Box 6667
Princeton, NJ 08541-6667
In your letter, state the name and address of the center, the test date and name of the test, the number and content of the question and the section in which it appeared.