Approval to Test

A TASC/TASC-ASL test may be taken if one of the following criteria is met:

Educator Preparation Program (EPP) Candidates

If you are fulfilling the requirements in an EPP approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC), you must receive approval from your EPP to take a certification test.

There are several types of teacher training programs:

  • University Initial — a program usually delivered as part of a baccalaureate program that includes student teaching
  • University Post Baccalaureate — a program that may be offered to an individual who already holds at least a bachelor’s degree and is seeking certification
  • University Alternative Certification Program — an Alternative Certification Program offered by a university
  • Alternative Certification Program — a nontraditional EPP for individuals who hold bachelor’s  degrees or higher that may involve university course work or other professional development experiences as well as intense mentoring and supervision

After you receive approval from your EPP, if you are a first-time testing candidate, you must go to the TEA website (click the TEAL Login on the top toolbar) and create an account. When you create your account you will complete an Educator Profile and obtain a TEA ID number. You will be able to view your approved tests in your Educator Profile under “View Examinations.”

Once you have viewed your approved exams, go to the ETS online registration system and create an ETS testing account. You will register to test through your ETS testing account.

If you have already taken a Texas Educator Certification Program test and you want to register for a test that you have not previously been approved to take, you must get approval from your EPP to take that test. Once you have approval to test, you can go to your testing account on the ETS TExES website and register to test.

Further information about EPP programs and a list of approved EPPs is available on the TEA website.     

Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Candidates

If you are certified and hold an acceptable teaching credential from another state, a U.S. Territory or another country and are seeking to be certified in the equivalent field(s), you must have your credentials reviewed by TEA.

To have your credentials reviewed, you must go to the TEA website and click on the TEAL Login on the top toolbar to create your TEAL account. Once there, you can create an Educator Profile, then complete an online application for review of credentials and submit the appropriate documents by mail to TEA. After your credentials have been reviewed, you will be emailed information regarding the tests that you are approved to take.

Once you have approval to test, go to the ETS online registration system and create an ETS testing account. (See Creating Your ETS testing account.) You will register to test through your ETS testing account.

Certification-by-Exam Candidates

If you hold a bachelor’s degree and a Texas classroom teaching certificate, you may add classroom certification areas by successfully completing the appropriate examination for the area(s) you are seeking.

If you already have an Educator Profile on the TEA website and a TEA ID number, use your TEA ID number to create an ETS testing account and register for an exam on the ETS TExES website. (See Creating Your ETS testing account.) A list of exams that you are eligible to take will be displayed in your ETS testing account. This is where you will register to test. If you do not know your TEA ID number, go to your Educator Profile on the TEA website to retrieve it.

If your teaching certificate was issued before 2002, you must create a new TEAL account on the TEA website and follow the step-by-step instructions to establish your account. Once completed, you’ll be able to access your Educator Profile to obtain your TEA ID number. See Creating Your TEA Account.

NOTE: TEA Division of Educator Testing and Certification is not responsible for approving certification-by-exam candidates. Test takers with questions regarding testing approvals should call TEA at 1-512-936-8400 and select option 2 to speak with a certification/ credentialing specialist.