TASC/TASC-ASL Testing Requirements

Who is Required to Take the Tests?

All persons seeking certification to teach students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing (i.e., seeking the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing certificate) and who wish to teach in a sign communication classroom must pass the TASC. The TASC requirement is in addition to other certification requirements already in effect. Sign communication means communication through the language of ASL or any of several manual systems. The TASC assesses sign communication in ASL or any of the following signing systems:

  • Contact Sign (CS)
  • Morphemic Sign System (MSS)
  • Signed English (SE)
  • Signing Exact English (SEE)

IMPORTANT NOTES: Individuals who seek the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing certificate to teach in a classroom in which another communication method (such as oral/aural or cued speech) is predominantly used are not required to pass the TASC for certification. Instead, their communication proficiency is assessed by their Educator Preparation Programs. They may be required to pass the test for assignment purposes, however.

Successful completion of the TASC-ASL may be used toward meeting requirements for the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing certificate. Therefore, individuals who must pass the TASC and who also anticipate seeking the ASL certificate in the future might choose to take the TASC-ASL test instead of TASC with the understanding that only ASL grammar, structure and syntax are to be used when taking the TASC-ASL.

All persons seeking certification to teach ASL as a foreign language in public schools must hold an ASL certificate. Anyone seeking ASL certification must pass the TASC-ASL. To pass the TASC-ASL, you must maintain ASL vocabulary, grammar and syntax throughout the videotaped interview and you may not incorporate other sign systems (such as Signed English or Contact Sign) in your responses. Depending on your circumstances, other requirements for certification may also apply. Successful completion of the TASC may not be used toward meeting requirements for teaching ASL as a foreign language in the public schools, even if the TASC interview is in ASL.

Back to Top

Approval to Test

A TASC/TASC-ASL test may be taken if one of the following criteria is met:

Educator Preparation Program Candidates

If you are fulfilling the requirements in an SBEC-approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP), you must receive approval to take a certification examination from your EPP. There are several types of teacher training programs:

  • University Initial - a program usually delivered as part of a baccalaureate program that includes student teaching
  • University Post Baccalaureate - a program that may be offered to an individual who already holds at least a bachelor's degree and is seeking certification
  • University Alternative Certification Program - an Alternative Certification Program offered by a university
  • Alternative Certification Program - a nontraditional EPP for individuals who hold bachelor's degrees or higher that may involve university course work or other professional development experiences as well as intense mentoring and supervision

Further information about EPP programs and a list of approved EPPs is available on the TEA website. After acceptance and approval to test from your EPP, follow the steps for registering to test.

Back to Top

Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Candidates

If you are certified and hold an acceptable teaching credential from another state, a U.S. Territory or another country and are seeking to be certified in the equivalent field(s), you must have your credentials reviewed by TEA.

To have your credentials reviewed, go to the TEA website and create an Educator Profile, complete an online application for review of credentials and submit the appropriate documents by mail to TEA. After your credentials have been reviewed, you will be emailed information regarding the tests that you are approved to take. You can then register to test.

Back to Top

Certification-by-Exam Candidates

If you hold a bachelor's degree and a Texas classroom teaching certificate, you may add classroom certification areas by successfully completing the appropriate examination for the area(s) you are seeking.

Back to Top