Developing a Study Plan
A study plan provides a roadmap to prepare for a TExES test. It can help you understand what skills and knowledge are covered on the test and where to focus your attention. Creating a study plan will help you organize your efforts. Follow the steps below to create your own study plan.
- Know what to expect: Identify the information the test will cover by reading through the test competencies that are in the Test at a Glance for the test you are taking. Within each domain of the test, each competency will receive approximately equal coverage.
- Get the prep materials: Identify books, courses and other resources you plan to use for each content area.
- Establish a Strategy: Organize, create and commit to a schedule that provides for regular study periods. The study plan sheet will help you organize.
- Study: Stick to your study schedule! Don't wait until right before your test to begin preparing. You can also join a study group and prepare with others who are planning to take the same test.
- Practice: Practice taking the sample questions in the preparation manual to get familiar with the types of questions on the test and to find out where you may need to focus your attention.
For additional information about preparing for a test including How to Reduce Test Anxiety (PDF), see Study Tips: Preparing to Take a Texas Educator Certification Test (PDF).
Back to TExES Preparation Materials